Creating a brandfrom scratch is hard!
“A brand is a story that is always being told”
How do you build a brand from scratch? What will it look like? What will people feel when they see your product on the shelf? How do you build a brand that evokes the richness, diversity and culture of all of Arabia? How do you build a singular unified brand when every member of your team may have a different interpretation and view of what the final outcome will look like?
It’s not easy… but here’s how we did it:
- Time: building a brand is a process and it can be a painstakingly slow burn. We developed the imagery, packaging and concept behind nai over a period of 18 months, and have collectively devoted thousands of hours on the effort. We are constantly working on it and are nowhere near done. So don’t get frustrated if it doesn’t come to you instantly…
- Put ideas down on paper: the first brand building exercise we conducted was the creation of individual mood boards. Side note: mood boards are fun! What we looked for were images that we felt represented our vision of nai and what the brand should feel and look like. One recommendation: be picky and filter through your selections… it’s very easy to put everything under the sun onto your board. This will make future steps that much harder.
- Identify Common Liikes: Once individual mood boards were completed these were discussed and debated as a team. Reviewing dozens upon dozens of images, we tried to identify those themes we all agreed on – eliminating numerous directions in the process – until we were left with a final “nai team” mood board
- Creating Options: Based on the final team mood board our design partners – Taurus – developed a series of possible directions showcasing how what our packaging, communication, etc. design would look under each option. Again these were discussed at length, and several rounds of tweaks were made before we settled on one design direction.
- Setting Rules: Throughout the process of creating our brand – be it our logo, nai’s backgrounds, imagery etc. – we consistently asked ourselves how and when we would use certain elements and how and when we would not. Our hope was not only to create content but to also develop a set of guidelines that would ultimately allow us to showcase both a distinctive yet consistent brand.
- Get Help: Throughout nai’s brand building process we consistently sought inspiration and support from external parties, be it branding companies like Taurus and Aboab in Saudi Arabia and Mind the Gap in Lebanon, design schools (Dar Al Hikma) or graphic design interns. We also spent countless hours looking at the wealth of ideas freely available online (facebook, Instagram, pinterest, shutterstock) or at regional art & cultural shows. There is genuinely so much talent out there available to inspire you!
- Work Hard: just as with everything in life, it takes hard work and a lot of effort, over days, weeks and months to create anything memorable, be it a logo, a label or a brand like nai.